Importance of physical education at Oakfield Park school
For all students, the benefits of engaging in regular physical activity are well-established. Focus is often cast on physical benefits such as improved cardio-vascular fitness, reduced risk of becoming overweight or obese, and increased bone and muscle strength. These are especially important for our students.
There is also evidence pointing towards a relationship between physical activity and improved mental well-being, the development of problem solving skills, and increased concentration and academic achievement. When students engage in physical activity in groups, they have been found to develop important life skills like verbal and non-verbal communication, sharing and the ability to make and keep friends. These skills are crucial in later life for developing strong and supportive social networks, gaining employment and living independently.
At Oakfield Park we want :
- Physical comfort to be a priority in order to support engagement and access in any learning opportunity.
- Individuals to be as healthy and active as possible
- To inspire pupils to exceed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities
- To enable students to be physically confident in a way that supports their health and fitness.
- To enable confident engagement in a wider range of leisure activities
- Therapies such as rebound, massage and hydro contribute to the student’s physical development, maintenance and well-being.
Physical evidencing through EfL Learning Journey Frameworks;
- Stepping out
Also evidenced as part of ASDAN accreditation.
Here are some photos of physical activity in school;
Here is our physical policy 2022-23;